Children all over the world

4:16:00 PM

I feel so blessed every week because we meet so many wonderful people here! Some are just curious, and some are super prepared to learn more from the local missionaries. And some experiences aren't very special or grand, but remind me of how much Heavenly Father loves His children. I can't believe this is the last week of the transfer! 

VC (so many miracles, I can't even write them all!):
1) Yesterday morning was super busy for a morning shift! Several Chinese buses came, and we met two walk-in couples who were visiting. Of the four of them, Marshall was the most interested in learning more about the temple and our beliefs. We taught him about the living prophet, revelation, and then I got pulled out front to greet Chinese guests. But I came back to finish our tour and basically taught the whole restoration lesson, and so much more, because he had so many questions! He was raised Catholic but never quite found a church that fit him. Sister Lor and I were so happy to share our testimonies and answer his questions. He was willing to read the Book of Mormon and learn more from missionaries in Ilinois! I was slightly worried when he read from the guest card, "you're sending representatives to my house?" "Yep, they're just like us! Missionaries!

2) Last week, a member, who also works as a tour guide on the side, brought in an Italian family. These women were friends of his, and all of us ended up watching the video, God's Plan, in Italian. One woman's husband passed away recently from cancer, so we testified of eternal families. And because of the member's testimony, they filled out a guest card and was willing to learn more from missionaries in Italy. And we invited them to check out the Rome Italy Temple when it's completed! Since they'll have an open house! It's such a blessing to meet families from all over the world, who can recognize the truths of the gospel because of the Spirit.

3) When I was on exchanges with Sister Furukawa last week (we were companions at the MTC), we took tram tours together. One our last one of the evening, ending at 7:15 pm, I saw a Chinese woman in the front row who just looked so frustrated/sad. I was so worried because we don't want anyone leaving the temple with those kind of feelings! Turns out her 2 year old son threw out her wooden-beaded bracelet out the tram window, and she was so stressed out because the bracelet was a gift from someone very special to her. Our wonderful tram driver, Lance, said she could hop back on the tram, and we'd drive slowly to look for it, on the path of the tour. She got off a little later to just look on her own, in the dark. And not too far after, we saw it! I picked it up and ran back to return it to her. She was so overjoyed and even cried a little. Sister Furukawa and I prayed that morning to give others hope or help them feel happy that day. And this tiny miracle, that this bracelet wasn't crushed by cars, or was found and returned to its owner, was an answer to our prayer and to her's! :)

5) On another evening, I began talking to a couple wearing matching Hawaii print outfits, and began telling them how I was introduced to the gospel, but Sister Lin asked if I could help give a tour to a Chinese man. I felt a a little torn because I couldn't keep talking to the couple, and the Chinese man didn't even want to learn much about anything... I was looking inside the VC to see if any other sisters talked to that couple, and I told Sister Lor what happened. The miracle was, they actually walked up the temple grounds, and down, didn't go inside the VC, Sister Lor took their pictures, and they were willing to meet with missionaries and learn more! Yay for companion unity! Heavenly Father truly knows every person who comes here, and allows us to connect somehow. So they can make a choice to learn more or not!

6) Sister Lor met a really excited woman named Mimo from Thornhill, Ontario. I was speaking to some Chinese guests and later joined her, when they were trying to look for the Toronto Temple on the little touchscreen. The funny thing was, Sister Lor was struggling because she had no idea where Toronto was hahaha. But I pointed it out! Mimo is Christian, and never heard of our religion, and was excited as ever to meet missionaries back home and keep in touch with us! It's so fun to see others so open to learn more! Especially Canadians! At the same time, her daughter Jessie was talking to Sister Sicotte and she wanted to learn more too! The power of working two by two is so real.

7) I met a super sweet couple from Shandong, China last week! She joined the church in 2007 when she visited Hong Kong, near the temple, and met missionaries. She felt a prompting in her head that she should listen to what they had to say. And her husband got baptized in 2015, and this was his first time seeing a temple! And a Visitors Center! I was so happy to show them around, hear their testimonies, and they're preparing to be sealed in the Hong Kong temple too. They asked me to write my testimony in the Simplied Book of Mormon so that was fun!

8) A few days ago, a Chinese tour came in, but they weren't the typical families, but a group of elementary children from Beijing. It is such a rare sight to see! I've only seen smaller groups of kids, staying here with host families, studying English. I had so much fun teaching them about God, Jesus Christ, temples, and learning from our mistakes in life. I don't know how much they'll remember from their short visit here, but I hope they will treasure the temple and Jesus Christ pass-along cards we gave them!

The closer I am to the end of the mission, the more unreal it feels that I've been here in Hawaii for more than a year even! We had Mission Leadership Council on Monday, and President Bekker trained us on developing/strengthening our own conversion. I loved the reminder that we have to rely on Heavenly Father every single day, and we have to be living in a way every single day, that shows our conversion to the gospel of Jesus Christ. Every day, I'm grateful for Heavenly Father for all the blessings I have, for all the opportunities I have to meet different people and to boldly share the truths I know, and invite them to learn more. I know that President Bekker, our mission president, and Elder Swinton, the Director at the VC, are both inspired and led by God to guide each of us. We cannot have the Spirit without trying to become more Christ-like ourselves. A process that takes our entire lives and more. But I've learned that although the process isn't easy, to chip away our pride, our will and desires, the results are always worth it. Our hearts are so much lighter and happier when we choose Christ, and follow His perfect example.

Scripture of the week: Moroni 7:5-8
" 5 For I remember the word of God which saith by their works ye shall know them; for if their works be good, then they are good also.

 6 For behold, God hath said a man being evil cannot do that which is good; for if he offereth a gift, or prayeth unto God, except he shall do it with real intent it profiteth him nothing.

 7 For behold, it is not counted unto him for righteousness.

 8 For behold, if a man being evil giveth a gift, he doeth it grudgingly; wherefore it is counted unto him the same as if he had retained the gift; wherefore he is counted evil before God."

Pictures:

​Sister Lor took this sneak shot! They were sooo cute! I felt like their teacher haha.


​The family from Italy! And Brother Furukawa on the right.


​This is real life behind doors, in the guide room. In the evening, sisters get drop-off dinners from members, and this is what dinner time looks like! Haha. 

​The sweet member couple from China! Their daughter is studying at BYUH. And she took a ton of material to share with the members in their district in Shandong!

Love,
Sister Wu

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Flickr Images