Pearl Harbor

8:30:00 PM

Last Wednesday I was able to go serve with some other sisters at the Pearl Harbor site. I remember learning about it in history class, but it's definitely cooler when you get to see the ships in person. We helped clean different parts of the U.S.S. Missouri ship and Sister Miao and I and our zone leaders helped set up some wires for Wi-fi. The missionaries get to go help clean once a transfer (6 weeks) and it's such a neat opportunity to serve at such a monumental site. We got a mini tour from a guy named Kevin who worked there for many years, and history means a lot more when you get to touch and feel the ship haha.

Last week was also a really weird week because there were three funerals that were conducted in the community. I've never attended a funeral before so it was kind of depressing to know three people passed away in the community recently...but we are all so grateful because the plan of happiness gives us hope and peace. One of the men who passed on was such an example of quiet, selfless service, and even though I never talked to him before, he's already motivated me to become more Christ-like.

On a happier note, on Sunday we were able to go to the YSA Devotional given by Elder Nelson of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles at BYU Hawaii! We didn't go early enough so we had to sit on the side and in the dark haha, but I tried my best to write notes still. I love hearing from the general authorities because everything the counsel us is what we need to hear. He talked about how experts have very differing opinions on us "millennials" compared to what Heavenly Father thinks of us.

1) Learn who you truly are - we are elect children of God
2) Expect and prepare for the impossible - because life isn't always how we expect it to be, but we can overcome all trials through Jesus Christ
3) Learn how to access the power of prayer - prayers are so powerful, especially when you are sincere
4) Follow the counsel of the prophet!

I'm so grateful for the leadership of a living prophet today and for all the general authorities in the church, because I know that God is the head of the church and He is the one that inspires them to guide and teach us :)

One of my companions, Sister Castaneda, has been feeling really sick lately and the doctor said she has tonsillitis. Some of the other VC sisters had that as well, so I'm trying to stay clear of it... By the end of this week, our VC Director Elder Priday will be leaving and our new Director will be here! It's so sad to see them leave because they really do act as our parents on the mission and take care of us whenever we have problems, feel sick, etc. But I know that everything is assigned in God's timing and the new Director will be just as qualified to do the work and help us :)

I love my two companions! Usually we all work together, or if we do have a tram shift, Sister Castaneda is always there. Yesterday it was just Sister Yeung and I (both of us have been out 4 months now), and we prayed for the Spirit to give us guidance. Everything worked out but it definitely wasn't by our own ability haha.

Scripture of the week: Mosiah 14:4-5
"Surely he has borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows; yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted. But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities; the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed."





Sister Weygandt, Sister Kim and I at Pearl Harbor. Why did I wear sweatpants....

After we finished service

One evening when we were proselyting, in a few minutes I got 10 mosquito bites that almost killed me...just kidding. 

Sister Yeung and I holding planet earth hehe

6:30 morning walk :)

Elder and Sister Priday after we sang "Aloha oe" :(

Love,
Sister Wu

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Flickr Images