General Conference!

11:31:00 AM

Okay. This one is going to be significantly shorter than my usual posts...I think. Haha

There's good news and there's bad news...
Good: Gerald and his wife finally came to church on Sunday!
Our new investigator Yohan is interested in learning more about the gospel.
AND Cedric (11 yrs old) is going to get baptized this coming Saturday!
Bad: I'm likely to stay here in Guelph until the end of October... because the Canadian government is slow with the visa process... At least I'll get to leave before the snow gets here (hopefully). :(

This past weekend was General Conference!!! It's a world-wide broadcast where we get to hear talks from our living prophet, Thomas S. Monson, and his apostles and the quorum of the 70s. Sister Nabhan had to watch all four sessions at the chapel, since we don't have the option of watching it at home. But besides all the wonderful and inspired talks, we were really excited to have Gerald and Donna come to church for the first time!

I mentioned Gerald last week and how he went to his friend's church. When we met with him again this week, he told us he'd probably continue going there since it was more like a "street church" where you come as you are. We were really disappointed but the Spirit really led our discussion as we talked about the Holy Spirit and how it testifies of truth. When he said the closing prayer, I almost cried (partly because of my visa news and I'm sure because of the Spirit too). He said, "Dear Lord, please give me the strength to tell my friend Derek that I don't want to go to his church and that I feel like you're leading me towards the Mormon church (that's what he calls it)" We were so happy because he finally understood the importance of the Sabbath Day and attending sacrament meeting! This was a tiny miracle because he wasn't keeping any of his commitments we extended earlier and I was already in a sad mood because of the visa delay. I'm so grateful for Heavenly Father's hand in our daily lives and He knows exactly how to remind us how much He loves His children :)

If you haven't gotten the chance to watch all the sessions of General Conference, I highly recommend it when you have some downtime (go to lds.org). Here are a few of my favorite quotes:
  • "Exaltation is our goal, discipleship is our journey." - Dieter F. Uchtdorf (Sat morning)
  • "Happiness in this life and in the life to come is interconnected by righteousness." - Quentin L. Cook(Sat morning)
  • "You are rich if you can live happily within your means," and "reach UP, not ACROSS (ask help from people that will build and help your progress)" - Robert D. Hales(Sat afternoon)
  • "True disciples represent the Lord when it is not convenient to do so." - Gregory A. Schwitzer (Sun morning)
  • "Small efforts sustained over time produce significant results." - Devin G. Durrant (Sun morning)
  • "The gospel of Jesus Christ shows us what our Heavenly Father wants us to become." - Von G. Keetch(Sun afternoon)
I think a few themes of General Conference this time included obedience and the plan of salvation/happiness. Remember that Heavenly Father sees us as who we truly are and what we can become. But that requires us to consistently obey His commandments to show our love for Him. As a missionary, I've learned to trust in the Lord every single day so that Sister Nabhan and I could share our testimonies to others and that they can feel the Holy Spirit touch their hearts. I am so grateful for the divine counsel of the living prophet today and all the members of the quorum of the 12 and 70s. I know that every one of these men have been called by God and they're inspired to lead and guide us. I'm a little disappointed Whitney L. Clayton wasn't called as one of the new apostles (he's our mission president's brother haha)...but no big deal. I know that the Lord calls his servants to do His work and that this is His church, not man's church. His church has always been led by living prophets who have the proper priesthood authority and will continue to be led in that manner!

I hope you've received personal revelation from General Conference and can apply some of what you've learned in your life :) I know I will!

On a side note, we finally found out a way to email pictures! We can use the Walmart laptops since they're fully functional :) (thanks to a kind employee who gave this suggestion, #missionarystruggles). So I'll be sending some pictures at Walmart soon haha.

Love,
Sister Wu



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Flickr Images