A hui hou (see you later)

9:03:00 PM

So this is it, my last week in Kaneohe. Usually we find out the Saturday before transfers where we're going next and who will be our companion, but we got a surprise text on Friday morning. I knew it was coming (me going back to the VC), but the crazy thing is, Sister Lee will be replacing me and will serve with Sister Blackner here!!! For those of you who know Emily/Sister Lee, and understand how rare it is that we even ended up serving in the same mission together, and how rare it would be for her to serve at not only the same area as me for her full-field experience, but with the same companion as me! And they two of them actually came to Hawaii together from the MTC. We will have so much to talk about when Sister Lee comes back! I bet she's writing the same thoughts in her email today haha.

This past week, Sister Blackner and I have been realizing that it's so much easier to invite others to learn more when we teach them a principle of the gospel(usually our QGCs/quality gospel conversations include an attempt to share or talk with others). And sometimes, because we're so used to rejection to that invitation, we just leave them with our phone numbers. But we totally regret not asking! We finished talking to a guy named Kirby and before we left, he told us he would be here until the end of June (visiting his grandkids), pretty much hinting we should come back...We had a miracle happen haha. At the beginning of last transfer we bumped into a guy leaving his apartment complex (at the stairs) that said he wanted to talk with missionaries again, but we forgot to ask his name and didn't know which unit he lived in. But just on the weekend, we were visiting a referral who lives in the same area, and saw his door open and we felt prompted to talk to him (had no idea who he was), and it was the same guy! His name is Sean and he's interested in discussing more about our beliefs, and said he was "naive" 10 yrs ago when he talked with the elders. Heavenly Father is truly guiding us to people who are prepared. But I won't be staying to find out what will happen. 

We haven't been able to see Vivian because she had a surgery and is recovering at home, but I'm excited Sister Lee will continue teaching her! I can't wait to hear more when I write her haha. We didn't get to teach Bowe and Kiona either because their family friend came to visit, but I got to say goodbye on Sunday. I hate goodbyes, but at least I'm not far, everyone just needs to come to the temple :) We taught Tasi and her brother LJ and her friend Dayeisha the plan of happiness, and they are such quick learners! 

We also had a district flood last Friday, so we went to the Kahaluu area. It was scorching hot and we were drenched in sweat as we tracted up a hilly street. One woman was pretty nice but she said "I don't believe in the big man upstairs with his beard." Made us laugh. We probably should've said we know Heavenly Father loves us all, but we didn't... 

And last week The Book of Mormon broadway play came to Hawaii. President Warner had several companionships stand near the theatre to hand out the real Book of Mormons to others because of course the real scripture is better. It pretty much makes fun of our faith but even Christian beliefs too. I wouldn't recommend anyone to watch it, but it does give a lot of publicity to the Book of Mormon. And I wouldn't complain about that. :)

Yesterday, Brother Long, Sister Blackner and I spoke in sacrament meeting about "feed my sheep"/doing missionary work. I was able to say bye to some of the families we've gotten to know, and I was so sad. Because I won't be coming back to this ward or area for the rest of my mission, but at least they can come visit at the visitors center. I talked about how important it is to fellowship each other as members, so we can really feel like we're all part of Heavenly Father's family. One part of missionary work is helping others learn of the gospel, but an even bigger portion is helping them stay strong in the gospel.

Read this awesome poem Sister Blackner shared:

"After All We Can Do
by Elder Robbie Pierce

I had been in that hole for a very long time—
In the dark and the damp, in the cold and the slime.
The shaft was above me; I saw it quite clear,
But there’s no way I ever could reach it from here.
I could not remember the world way up there,
So I lost every hope and gave in to despair.

I knew nothing but darkness, the floor, and the wall.
Then from off in the distance I heard someone call:
“Get up! Get ready! There’s nothing the matter!
Take rocks and take sticks and build up a fine ladder!”
This was a thought that had not crossed my mind,
But I started to stack all the stones I could find.

When I ran out of stones, then old sticks were my goal,
For some way or another I’d climb from that hole.
I soon had a ladder that stood very tall,
And I thought, “I’ll soon leave this place once and for all!”
I climbed up my ladder, a difficult chore,
For from lifting those boulders, my shoulders were sore.

I climbed up the ladder, but soon had to stop,
For my ladder stopped short, some ten feet from the top.
I went back down my ladder and felt all around,
But there were no more boulders nor sticks to be found.
I sat down in the darkness and started to cry.
I’d done all I could do and I gave my best try.

But in spite of my work, in this hole I must die.
And all I could do was to sit and think, “Why?”
Was my ladder to short? Was my hole much too deep?
Then from way up on high came a voice: “Do not weep.”
And then faith, hope, and love entered into my chest
As the voice calmly told me that I'd done my best.

He said, “You have worked hard, and your labor’s been rough,
But the ladder you’ve built is at last tall enough.
So do not despair; there is reason to hope,
Just climb up your ladder; I’ll throw down my rope.”
I climbed up my ladder, then climbed up the cord.
When I got to the top of it, there stood the Lord.

I’ve never been happier; my struggle was done.
I blinked in the brightness that came from the Son.
I fell to the ground as His feet I did kiss.
I cried, “Lord, can I ever repay Thee for this?”
He looked all about. There were holes in the ground.
They had people inside, and were seen all around.

There were thousands of holes that were damp, dark and deep.
Then the Lord looked at me, and He said, “feed my sheep,”
And he went on his way to save other lost souls,
So I got right to work, calling down to the holes,
“Get up! Get ready! There is nothing the matter!
Take rocks, and take sticks, and build up a fine ladder!”

It now was my calling to spread the good word,
The most glorious message that man ever heard:
That there’s one who is coming to save one and all,
And we need to be ready when he gives the call.
He’ll pull us all out of the holes that we’re in
And save all our souls from cold death and from sin.

So do not lose faith; there is reason to hope:
Just climb up your ladder; he’ll throw down his rope."

Isn't the Atonement wonderful? :) Is there someone that pops into mind when you read about those other holes? I invite you to think of what you can do to help them out. :) I'm feeling bittersweet to leave all the people I've grown to love here, and of course Sister Blackner and her lame jokes(haha), but I'll be doing awesome work with Sister Ting, my new companion, starting Wednesday :) She was our sister training leader when we first got to Hawaii! I'm going to write Sister Lee often to see how the work is continuing here in Kaneohe, and I really hope we get to serve together when she comes back to the VC. 3 months here have gone by quickly, but I can't help but remember all the good memories we've had.

Scriptures of the week: Moroni 7:47-48
"But charity is the pure love of Christ, and it endureth forever; and whoso is found possessed of it at the last day, it shall be well with him.

Wherefore, my beloved brethren, pray unto the Father with all the energy of heart, that ye may be filled with this love, which he hath bestowed upon all who are true followers of his Son, Jesus Christ; that ye may become the sons of God; that when he shall appear we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is; that we may have this hope; that we may be purified even as he is pure."

Rewatch or watch general conference talks here(you can even look for specific topics or speakers):
https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2016/04?cid=HP_SU_3-4-2016_dPFD_fGC_xLIDyL1-B_&lang=eng

"Da Hui" district this transfer!

Family picture with the Longs, they're adopting us after our missions ;) 

Travis and Sarah, our potential investigators, and their cute baby Anna. We share our beliefs with each other, one day...

The Richters, Sister Richter is awesome!

Melodie, we love teaching her post-baptism lessons and visiting her family.


The Kapeles. Sister Kapele was a kumu teacher for hula for many many years.

Kiona, me, and Bowe. They're such boys. 

Brother Long wanted a family picture at church too :) The relief society sang Aloha Oe so I was super teary eyed.

Bishop Chun and Sister Chun :)

Just us. I'm gonna miss her!

Typical.

Our treacherous hike this morning, I slipped on my butt twice...muddy and we got rained on, but we survived!

Too bad it's been so cloudy lately. But the ocean is always beautiful here. Next week you'll be seeing her with Sister Lee!

Love,
Sister Wu

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Flickr Images