21!

9:23:00 PM

So many things happened this week, I can hardly keep track of it! Today, I turned 21 years old. I remember thinking as a teenager, once I'm in my 20s, I hope I have my life all planned out, and know who I am, and who I want to be. Somewhat true, but still a work in progress! I'm grateful to be here, to be healthy, to have the gospel in my life, to have loving parents and friends, and to be a missionary at this time. Thank you for all your support and love!

Last week we had a mission-wide conference with Elder LeGrand Curtis. His training was mostly on the topic of faith, and what that means to us. He talked about lasagna, and how our faith is layered one piece at a time, until it becomes the "perfect" lasagna. I just love that! Faith leads to action, and only through faith can we witness miracles in our lives. 

Area:
1) We had a really great lesson with Aldarma, from Mongolia, but it turns out she's actually in another companionship's area. So they walked with her to the VC yesterday, and started teaching her, and we just did a little teaching. We shared our testimonies with her, and the Christmas video as well. I was so touched by her willingness to read the Book of Mormon and want to apply all the teachings to become a better mother, and to become closer with God. We won't be teaching her, but we are so grateful to know her and see her grow!
2) Today, we went grocery shopping at Foodland. I was going to pay, but a kind man offered to pay for us. We tried to get out of it, but he insisted. Our bill was about $50, and Sister Allen and I were just in awe, for feeling so blessed. The two guys behind us in line were not members of the church, but still wanted to pay for the one thing Sister Allen was going to buy. We don't deserve this kindness but we are so grateful for this small act.

VC:
1) This week, I was kind of struggling and asked for a priesthood blessing from Elder Swinton. I've never asked for any type of blessings on my mission here, but Sister Evans said it would only help. And I am so grateful for that power, because I can always feel the Spirit, and the perfect love that our Heavenly Father has for me individually. I know that He knows all the details of our lives, and if we allow Him to, He really is our Comforter. 
2) Sister Allen and I drove Sister Evans to the Honolulu Airport on Thursday night and we got a little lost...but the miracle was, the GPS died but worked again, and we got home safely after two hours hahaha. We're always protected!
3) Sister Hernandez and I met an inactive 19 yr old guy who came to the VC with his parents and girlfriend. We shared the Christus narration with them, and just testified of how much peace comes in our lives because of Jesus Christ, and His Atonement for us. We could tell he wanted to feel that more, and his girlfriend wanted to learn more too, so we got their contact information! Miracles of being bold but loving.
4) Jenn got baptized last week! Her story is neat; she learned a good amount about our beliefs from a family on YouTube, and was really interested in applying those teachings in her life. I couldn't get ahold of her, but called the Bishop, and he confirmed the baptism and everything. Then she called me back, and was so so happy. 
5) Jannah also got baptized on Saturday! She's from Orillia in Ontario, and felt soo much peace after she started learning the gospel. So many miracles in her life too. So grateful for the missionaries who taught them, and I feel so happy to see another person receive the fullness of the gospel :) She had really bad anxiety, but ever since she read the Book of Mormon, it's significantly decreased, and a continuous peace has come into her life.
6) Sister Hernandez and I took an inbound call online, and talked to a man named Trevor. Basically, he was slightly argumentative, and didn't understand why we didn't teach one verse in the Book of Mormon literally. Can you imagine trying to interpret scripture without a living prophet? We taught and testified, and I realized how in order to understand and learn about our beliefs, you really have to be humble enough to pray about the Book of Mormon, with intention to act on your answer. It's not enough to just pray. The answer doesn't come if you're not ready to receive it.

Christmas is this Sunday! We had a neat opportunity to share the Christmas video with a small Chinese tour, about 10 people, and with each scene, they commented on how important it is to be kind, and reach out to others. It was a short moment, but I found myself tear up a little, because we live in a world where it's so easy to be caught up in our own problems, but even for a few minutes, they learned what it means to become like Jesus Christ. They also asked for the words to the Christus narration! (scriptures from the Bible and Book of Mormon) I said we only had it in English and they still wanted it. Soooo sweet.

We can be kind, we can love others, we can find more happiness and peace, because Jesus Christ showed us the way. When we are hurt, angry, sad, worried, or guilty, we can use the Atonement of Jesus Christ, and have Him lift our burdens. I love being at the Visitors Center as a missionary, and this week will get even busier because of Christmas! I know that Christ lives, and that He understands us perfectly, and because of who He is, and what His Atonement is, we can have eternal joy. "Without Christ there would be no Christmas, and without Christ there can be no fulness of joy." - President Ezra Taft Benson

Continue to #lighttheworld ! 🙌

Scripture of the week: 3 Nephi 22:10 
"For the mountains shall depart and the hills be removed, but my kindness shall not depart from thee, neither shall the covenant of my peace be removed, saith the Lord that hath mercy on thee."

Pictures:

​It's super small (taken on an Iphone), but this is thee group of all the missionaries on Oahu! With Elder Curtis on the left of President Bekker (above Sister Bekker, wearing the bright red in the middle)

​The children's choir here in Laie performed at our last musical fireside of the season! So talented.

​We tried to take fun pictures because I've always wanted to see the view here - Laie Point!

​This was taken on Sister Andrus's phone, but I met a member of the church from mainland China! She was part of a Chinese tour, so I had to take a picture!

Love,
Sister Wu

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Flickr Images